Learn how to make this beautifully infused Apple Cider Bobbing Pudding. Perfect for the colder months, it's a sweetly appley sponge giving way to a melting puddle of caramel-scented sauce.
What you will need:
For the Sponge
- 2 medium Bramley apples/cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced into inch-thick wedges
- 140g self-raising flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 85g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Sauce
- 1 heaped tbsp Apple Cider Bobbing
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
What to do:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease a medium baking dish lightly with butter. Arrange the apple slices in a layer over the bottom of the dish.
2. Put the flour, golden caster sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk this into the dry ingredients until you get a smooth batter. Pour the batter on top of the apple slices in the dish and smooth with a spatula.
4. For the topping, pour 250ml boiling water over the tea in a small bowl or jug. Leave for 3 minutes, then strain the tea (discard the solids).
5. Pour the strained tea over the sugar in a jug and stir together until smooth. Pour this liquid over the batter and apples in the dish, then scatter over the pecan nuts. It will look a soggy mess, but don’t worry – magic happens while it is in the oven!
6. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the pudding has risen and is golden brown. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a drizzle of cold pouring cream.
7. Brew yourself a cuppa and enjoy with a slice of pudding.